Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Differential diagnosis of lower abdominal pain:
- gynecologic disease or dysfunction (complications of pregnancy, acute infections, endometriosis, adnexal disorders, menstrual disorders)
- gastrointestinal (appendicitis, gastroenteritis, inflammatory bowel disease)
- genitourinary (cystitis, pyelonephritis, nephrolithiasis)
- neurologic causes.
- The most common infectious cause of lower abdominal pain in women is PID.
- Only one-third of women with PID have temperature > 38°C.
- Recommend pregnancy test to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
- Screen for HIV and syphilis. Immunize against hepatitis B if not already immune.